Sauna Cleansing has been practiced as a healing therapy for thousands of years in many parts of the world. Throughout Russia, northern Europe, and the Scandinavian countries, saunas have been used to successfully prevent and treat many different types of diseases. In some Scandinavian countries they say, “If a sauna won’t cure you, then
Sauna Cleansing is achieved by simply raising your body core temperature by being exposed to heated air, steam, or infrared heat in a sauna room. By raising your body core temperature you are creating an artificial fever, and the body goes into overdrive to try and cool itself back down to 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit. In order to do this, fluid from the sweat glands and lymphatic system is pushed out through the skin which is called “perspiration”. Having water on the skin has a cooling effect on the body, and as a result the core temperature is lowered. By creating this artificial fever many positive things start to happen in the body!
In tropical climates, degenerative diseases such as cancer, heart disease and diabetes are very rare in the native population. People perspire throughout the whole year because of the high heat levels twelve months of the year. This cleanses the lymphatic and immune systems, and toxins are removed from the body on a regular basis. Also, in tropical climates people are more active outside year round, and they receive the benefits of infrared heat from the sun throughout the year. In cooler climates, people do not perspire year round, and they do not get as much infrared heat from the sun in the cooler months. As a result, toxins build up in the body, and this can put an extra burden on the lymphatic and immune systems. Using an infrared sauna provides cleansing and detoxification benefits year round which can help prevent degenerative diseases, and keep the body healthy, strong and youthful.
“A sauna used to be thought of as a luxury. Studies now confirm that diet and environmental chemicals cause 95% of cancers. Furthermore, as the first generation of man exposed to such an unprecedented plethora of daily chemicals, we have learned that stored or undetoxified chemicals can mimic any disease. ‘Incurable’ chronic diseases that were thought to have no known cause often disappear once toxic
chemicals are gone. Since the infrared sauna is the safest, most efficacious and economical way of depurating stored toxins, this makes it a household necessity.” This quote is from Dr. Sherry Rogers M.D., Northeast Center for Environmental Medicine – Internationally known expert in environmental medicine and author of “Detoxify or Die” and “Tired or Toxic?” Most of the effectiveness of the infrared sauna is because of its ability to produce total body perspiration at a comfortable level of heat, compared to the high temperature of the traditional sauna and steam bath.
The most popular type of sauna nowadays is an infrared sauna. Infrared is a frequency of light which we cannot see, but it primarily heats objects and moisture rather than the surrounding air. The heat from the sun is infrared. The sun is 93 million miles away and there is no hot air coming from the sun to planet earth, because it is so far away. That is why it is very cold in space, and even as you move away from the earth’s surface the temperature drops quickly. High mountains on the equator are covered with snow and ice throughout the year. The best way to understand infrared heat from the sun is to go outside on a sunny day in the winter, and stand in a protected area away from the wind. The sun will feel very warm and will easily penetrate your clothing and get right into your body. If a cloud comes along and blocks the sunlight you will immediately feel cold. As soon as the cloud passes you will immediately feel the infrared heat from the sun penetrating your body again. What happened was the cloud blocked the infrared frequencies of light from the sun and you felt cold, and as soon as the cloud moved the infrared frequencies of light warmed your body. If you had a thermometer beside you the air temperature would not have changed, but your body’s perception of heat certainly changed. Most natural substances on earth will absorb infrared heat, and will also give off infrared heat. Ceramic stones, the earth, rocks, animals, and people all give off infrared heat once they are warmed.
Another important consideration is that the modern lifestyle of the last 80 years approximately, has been polluting our bodies with man-made chemicals that people have never been exposed to before in human history. Food additives, pesticides, toxic off-gassing from manufactured products, hydrogenated and homogenized fats, altered and processed foods, artificial coloring, artificial sweeteners, artificial flavours, preservatives, GMO foods, drugs, vaccinations, hormones, engine exhaust, industrial wastes, and literally thousands of chemicals that we absorb through the air we breath, the water we drink, and the food we eat, are overloading our lymphatic and immune systems. Even air conditioned homes, offices, stores and vehicles means people perspire less in the summer months, and as a result their body cannot detoxify properly through whole body perspiration. As a result, never before in human history has there been a greater need for Sauna Cleansing!
A quality infrared sauna will be heated with emitters made of solid ceramic stones housed in surgical stainless steel demagnetized housing. This type of emitter produces the most natural and balanced infrared for your body, without off-gassing or producing harmful EMF’s (electrical magnetic fields). The sauna room should be made of solid, natural cedar so mold and bacteria will not grow in the sauna. Cedar is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. However, the next best choice would be Poplar wood for people who want a different aroma or appearance. The sauna should be made in Canada to satisfy the stringent standards of CSA (Canadian Standards Association). Don’t be fooled by product on web sites, or in the big box stores that is not made in Canada, and is made of a man-made material that looks like wood, but isn’t. These products often have harmful EMF’s, and toxic off-gassing from glues and chemicals that are used in manufacturing. The whole principle behind sauna cleansing is to detoxify the body, not to add toxins to the body.
A quality infrared sauna benefits all 12 systems in the body. Here are some of the benefits for 8 of the systems in the body.
1) Circulatory System: Infrared heat improves circulation throughout the entire body by dilating blood vessels, improving the delivery of nutrients and oxygen to all of the trillions of cells in the body, and the elimination of waste products from the trillions of cells in the body. The body has a program and it is cellular based. Each of the cells in the body is a pump. The cell pumps out toxins, and pumps in nutrients. Far infrared frequencies stimulate the trillions of cells in the body helping to create a healthier, stronger and more permeable cell membrane. Remember, Healthy Cells = a Healthy Body.
2) Digestive System: Using an infrared sauna increases the metabolism which improves the digestive process. You can burn up to 600 calories per session, making it ideal for weight management.
3) Immune System: In the fall, winter and spring infrared sauna use is essential to boost the immune system, because most people are not getting enough infrared light in the cooler weather because of the lack of sunlight. Infrared boosts the Immune System by promoting detoxification of heavy metals, chemicals and toxins.
4) Lymphatic System: Cleanses the entire lymphatic system through optimum total body perspiration.
5) Muscular System: Deep penetrating heat warms and relieves tension and soreness in all of the 400+ muscles, and 200+ joints in the body within a matter of minutes.
6) Nervous System: Relaxes the central nervous system decreasing stress, anxiety and fatigue.
7) Respiratory System: The penetrating heat helps to loosen congestion and mucus, making breathing easier. It’s great for anyone with a respiratory condition, cold or flu.
8) Skeletal System: Far infrared heat penetrates deep into the bones, relieving arthritic, stiff and tired joints.
Next month we will be talking about the benefits of hydrotherapy in a M.E.D. Therapy Spa. What do you think M.E.D. stands for? It is an acronym for the 3 main benefits of a Therapy Spa. The answer will be in next month’s issue of The Rural Route.